Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Santa's Gone Electric....


The Jingle Cats - White Christmas - Awesome video clips here

So, I don't know if you've heard about this, but there's a new Christmas album out this year...an album of classics to be played around the fire as the kids snuggle under the blanket each time the logs crackle. As Dad smokes his pipe looking off into the distance beaming with pride and Mom quietly knits a sweater for little Billy while smiling at the children Santa-gazing thru the window, the warm sounds of pure Christmas cheer ring thru the ears of the each family member.

And then someone actually starts the CD.
Bob Dylan has made a Christmas album. ROBERT ZIMMERMAN pulled a Neil Diamond/Barbra Streisand and made a Christmas album. And my God....it's really, um, something. I was going to put a sample on this post, but I truly do not want to know that I have made any of you cringe like I did. Imagine smoking 8 packs of menthols, then add 80 years, then sprinkle a little tone-deaf...and you've got it. Might I suggest "Do You Hear What I Hear?" from the Amazon.com website. "Oh Come Ah Ye Faithful" is also a true diamond in the rough. Well no, it's just rough.

Please understand, I am not a Bob Dylan hater. I believe he has been an innovator in the classic rock/folk era with his own style and sound. But dammit, this is just cruel and unusual. I think I'd rather hear Snoop Dogg perform opera (O Solo Mio Muthaf&*ka!!!) or maybe just listen to someone take a dump in a Port-O-Let just to hear that distinct splashdown in a sea of greenish eewwwww mere feet away.

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on Bob. I mean, the man is 137 years old and he's still making albums, so I suppose that's good for him. Other than a few die-hard Dylan fans who would buy an album of him making gurgling sounds set to the 1812 Overture without blinking an eye, I haven't seen a lot of people saying, "Hey, that vibrant Bob Dylan has finally gone and made us a family Christmas album! Pour the Egg Nog, Muffy-kins!!" I'd say it would be more like, "Hey man, don't snort all the coke bro, I need some for Winter Wonderland."

By the way, as I couldn't find anything amusing enough to post as a pic on this subject, I hope you enjoy Jingle Cats' "White Christmas." Yes, I had free time.

2 comments:

John Peddie said...

I heard a few snippets of those songs on NPR a few weeks ago.

Remember back in the day when Boomer the Pacers mascot used to put on a Grim Reaper outfit and stand behind the opposing bench when the Pacers were obliterating a team?

When I heard those Dylan Christmas snippets, I got a distinct picture in my head of Boomer the Grim Reaper standing just behind Dylan's chair while he was recording. Until I actually heard the songs, I kept hoping that a Dylan Christmas record was just a silly rumor...a thing that could never come to pass.

Sigh...

Godfather Weilhammer said...

Yeah, nice image with Boomer. I think your poignant "Sigh" really ended the thought well. I actually found it really uncomfortable. If Jack Kevorkian was using his death machine, this is what he'd be singing.