Thursday, May 31, 2012

Good Times at the Grocery Store

I have no doubt that someone will say I am making this up, but there are certain things which even I can't fabricate.  I have seen the People of Wal-Mart website...it is entertaining and amusing.  While I have seen some who absolutely should not have gone out in public dressed like that, I can comfortably say that a new website needs to be created: SupermarketOMG.com.  Here's why.

This evening, I went to our local supermarket to try and find something for dinner.  While going thru the aisles looking for something, anything that sounded good, I walk into the chip and soda aisles and stumble across a sight which, at first, was hard to describe.  I found someone who absolutely does not care about their appearance, absolutely does not care what people think and absolutely does not care what it looks like she's doing.  Allow me to share this with you.

This woman was of extremely sizable means.  Motorized wheelchair with the adorable yet completely unrealistic basket attached to the front of it, barely big enough to hold your car keys, let alone groceries.  A daughter along with her, pushing a regular cart loaded with things that do not suggest she is planning on turning her diet around (Imagine shopping in the soda/candy/snack aisle, and only shopping in that aisle for all of your food needs).  The basket had a little something in it, and clearly they had stopped over by the donut display case before throwing entire shelves of Little Debbies in the big cart.  Here was this woman, with a box of fresh donuts, box opened, her grabbing them and eating them while shopping.  Mind you, there was no tag on the box....that's right, hadn't been paid for yet, but here she was, gnawing on these things like she found gold seeping from the side, rich Bavarian-style gold.  I was just awe-struck.

Before you jump all over me and say I am a cruel bastard who doesn't have a heart and makes fun of others because of a poor self-image, I completely agree with you.  I am not making fun of her because of how much she weighs.  I am saying that when one battles the bulge, cramming unpurchased donuts 2 at a time down your gullet in full view of everybody is not necessary.  Wage your battle on the inside, and at least buy the damn donuts before you declare them unfit to be in your presence and snarf them down like you were eating Pez.  And honestly, couldn't this have waited until you got out of the store?  Sure, I've bought myself the occasional bag of M&Ms or candy bar, but I wait until after I have purchased it and usually wait until I get to the car to enjoy my chocolatey happy treat.  All I'm asking is that, before you rip into an unpurchased product, take a moment of silent reflection and ask, "Do I REALLY need this right now, or can it wait 15 minutes so I don't look like I'm cramming stolen goods down my throat?"

1 comment:

John Peddie said...

"I used to grab bear claws as a kid, two at a time, and I'd get 'em lodged...right in this region here."